Legal & Compliance officer
Do you want to be part of a fast-growing startup while making a positive impact on the world?
StudentFinance is a venture-backed company with the mission of removing barriers to education and empowering economic mobility.
We deeply believe in the power of education and that access to education should not depend on one's financial background. Currently, millions of people are in need of reskilling and are not able to fulfill their potential due to financial barriers.
So we are building the technological, data, and financial infrastructure to offer outcomes-based financing. Through Income Share Agreements, people defer the tuition payment and only start making payments after getting a job. ISAs are all about aligned incentives, and so are we at StudentFinance. Our end game is supporting our customer's transition to employment and financial health.
To get there, we are building a world-class team of purpose-driven and entrepreneurial people, working in a remote setting from cities across Europe; and are looking for an experience Legal and Compliance officer to join our team.
- Analise regulatory landscape, both country-specific and Pan-European. You are expected to support management in defining a regulatory engagement strategy that is consistent with the company’s objectives
- Critical thinking and analysis of products/services to identify credible methods by which StudentFinance is exposed to regulatory compliance
- Develop processes to track and monitor our regulatory risk, compliance with regulatory requirements and internal policies
- Build trust with our regulators: manage and coordinate meaningful reporting internally and externally, respond to information requests, and proactively communicate product changes and notifiable events
- Working hands-on with the teams to reach regulatory compliance best practice
- Collaborate with the company Founders on company strategy and expansion
- 4+ years experience in Financial Services, in legal, compliance or risk at a Fintech, regulated financial services firm or at a regulator or similar body
- Previous experience in lending or payments preferred
- International background and mindset
- A genuine interest in Fintech and in promoting Income Share Agreements as the new standard for education financing/ access
- Ability to distill and discern important information from regulatory guidance, statutes and regulations, audit findings, and other documents and determine how it impacts the business
- Understanding of regulatory requirements vs. “best practices” in compliance is critical
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Fluency in English required, written and spoken
- Self-motivated and able to perform independently
- Results-driven, pragmatic, and detailed
- Have an acute love for problem-solving
- Strong organizational skills – must be multi-tasked oriented and able to balance pressure and deadlines with constantly changing priorities
- A team player who works effectively with others to identify and resolve issues; shares information and keeps team members and management informed